Tuesday 23 August 2011

Where did, or didn't, SuperStar Virgo go?

Port Klang, Malaysia
The two night cruise I was on from Singapore to Malaysia was called the 'Malacca/Kuala Lumpur Cruise'. The itinerary said that the ship would be in Malacca from 7 - 9 a.m. then would sail on to Port Klang, the nearest port to Kuala Lumpur.
   I knew that passengers would not be allowed off the ship in Malacca but I thought that at least I'd be able to see the city from the observation deck.
   Nope! We didn't go there at all. Some passengers who had booked an all-day shore tour to Malacca and K.L. were taken off the ship by tender when we were in mid-stream. They'd rejoin SuperStar Virgo at Port Klang that night.
   We kept sailing up the Straits of Malacca; Indonesia on one side of us, Malaysia on the other. I hadn't realised how narrow this waterway is. We were in sight of land the whole way.
   Port Klang is huge; miles of wharves, hundreds of ships. This photo is of the cruise ship terminal there. It's literally in the middle of nowhere. From the terminal it's about a 40 minute drive, depending on traffic, into Kuala Lumpur.
   I didn't want to spend five or six hours on shore tours to enormous shopping malls or rush around in K.L. so decided to stay onboard, seeing the cruise was so short, and enjoy the ship's facilities for the rest of the day. But I did go ashore at one point to walk around outside the terminal, just so I could say I'd been to Malaysia!
   One woman was highly excited about the chance to shop at one of the biggest malls in Asia. She left the ship, clutching her husband in one hand and waving his credit card in the other, shouting, "Bye. I'm going to make him poor!"
   From the look of her when she arrived back onboard, carrying armloads of shopping bags, I'd say she certainly did.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment